RESOURCES: GIS DATA SOURCES
GIS Data relating to weather and climate The following links, mostly from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) sites, offer downloads of data for various types of climatic and weather events.
- Main National Weather Service GIS Data Portal https://www.weather.gov/gis/
- Storm Prediction Center SVRGIS Page https://www.spc.noaa.gov/gis/svrgis/
- More Storm Prediction Center GIS Data http://www.spc.noaa.gov/gis
- National Hurricane Center GIS Page http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gis
- Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service Precipitation Download http://water.weather.gov/precip/download.php
- Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service Rivers Download http://water.weather.gov/ahps/download.php
- Weather Prediction Center GIS Products http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/about_gis.shtml
- NOAA Atlas 14 Precipitation Frequency Estimates https://hdsc.nws.noaa.gov/hdsc/pfds/
- NOAA’s Weather and Climate Toolkit http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/wct/index.php
- Iowa Environmental Mesonet's GIS Main Page http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/GIS
- PRISM Climate Group's Climate Data Page http://prism.nacse.org
Geographic Base Maps & Other Data
GIS Data for base maps and other data The links below offer downloads of data in various GIS-ready formats for base maps and geographic layers.
- US Census Bureau's TIGER Products http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/tiger.html
- National Weather Service AWIPS Shapefile Database https://www.weather.gov/gis/AWIPSShapefiles
- National Weather Service RIDGE Enhanced Radar Images http://radar.weather.gov/GIS.html
- US Geological Survey's (USGS) National Hydrography Dataset http://nhd.usgs.gov/data.html
- USGS' Small-Scale Data Download http://nationalmap.gov/small_scale/atlasftp.html?openChapters=chpgeol#chpgeol
- USGS' National Map Viewer http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html
- NOAA Office of Coast Survey GIS & Other Products http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/gisintro.htm
- Great Lakes Commission GIS Map Layers https://www.glc.org/greatlakesgis/maplayers
What is GIS?
Typically, the acronym GIS stands for Geographic Information System. However, it can depend on who you ask, as the “S” has been known to stand for Science as well. Simply put, a GIS is a collection of data with a spatial component that can be used for visualization and analysis. It is becoming increasingly useful in many occupations, including those in the fields of weather and climate.
National Geographic Society
GIS (geographic information system)
University of Wisconsin-Madison
What is GIS?