Workshop Goals & Outcomes
Agriculture is indelibly connected to surrounding weather and climate conditions, which impact crop growth along with diseases and soils. Understanding current weather and climate issues is imperative to supporting sustainable crop production in the Midwest. We have noted a lack of specific information and tools available for various specialty crop growers as well as limited reporting on drought conditions for the US Drought Monitor.
- We will work to support use of current and projected climate/drought information for producers, advisers and industry in the region.
- We will continue to work with partners to collect and supply climate/drought information usable to specialty crop producers throughout the region.
- We will allow producer needs to drive the adaption of/creation of tools and technologies in future endeavors.
- The combination of workshops and survey will provide a detailed set of needs for climate and drought data and information which can support better data collection on climate impacts and development of new decision-aiding tools for specialty crop producers.
- Specialty crop producers will show a change in their understanding of climate change and drought in the Midwest and potential adaptation capabilities at varying time scales (seasonal to multi-seasonal).
- Creation of a partner group that will track adaptation practices over time.